Week 3 - Design Conceits

Fig. 1

We were all given a task to create a specific building given to us which had something special about them. For example, I was given Big ben which has a special trait called temporary. Learning from past weeks I did my research and drew from life (google) to be able to understand what makes the character (of the building) standout. What stood out was the tallness of the building and mainly the big clock. I then went on to designing the building I was asked to design.

Since this is a temporary building, I decided to make Big ben out of sand. A building that was falling apart. Taking feedback, I made sure Big Ben was supported from the ground up by a pile of sand, whilst some of the architecture fades away.



Fig. 2

I had to create the interior of Big Ben. Since Big Ben is constructed by sand and is known for its big clock. I decided to create an escape room where clocks are everywhere to show that time is running out making the scene chaotic. As you can see in ‘Fig. 2’ the place is falling apart, the stairs are separated and everything is fading away as a connotation to ‘temporary.’



Character Design

 

Fig. 3

Instead of focusing on my character, I am focusing on the mise-en-scene. Since my character is an African brave warrior living on an ancient African plain, I decided to do some little research and quick sketches. I also looked at people living there and how they live. For example, their houses are made out of straws and covered with pieces of cloths. They use hard mud to create things such as chairs and little props or even houses. I even looked at black panther for research as they have a similar style of what I am going for.



Fig. 4

This is the final design I had in mind. On the right-hand side, I have drawn layers of rocks where the waterfall is which then goes down to the king’s kingdom. The kingdom is a small plain held by a pillar of rocks making it look like it is floating. I then drew stairs at the side which goes down to the commons, where everyone lives.

From my feedback given to me, I have to look at it from a simpler side as this looks more game designed. For example, where is the king going to live? Where are the houses? And where are the dancers going to be/ where is the scene going to be shot?

Overall, I will be taking these under consideration and make an influence map to give me more of a defined idea. I am happy with the story and the characters, as it is going on the right path. All that is left to do is to polish my ideas.


Comments

Popular Posts