Week 2 - Drawing from life


Fig.1

We were all given a film or a tv show where we had to create a new character based on that. I was given Big Hero 6 and I decided to create a villain who would go up against Baymax named Vazack as you can see in ‘Fig. 1.’

I started doing quick sketches of the main character and looked at the qualities and obvious structure that makes the character Baymax. I then transitioned some of these techniques to create the character. For example, circular shapes were used to create Baymax to make him friendly/ good. Thus, this made me design a villain character by using a sharp shape such as a rectangle.

To improve on the character, I would use a different shape to make it look less similar to Baymax. If you look at the right-hand-corner in ‘Fig. 1.’ I used a triangular shape which I think would have been better. Overall, using a square object was successful however a triangular shape would have made a stronger impression that is a Villain.



Fig. 2

We were given a task to draw any characters in the film drawn in the art style we are using to draw for our character design project. Since mine is an ‘ethnic’ (African) style which is more of a silhouette except for the colourful patterns, I did the same with ‘Big hero 6’ but with a hero suit. I
  think this was successful as this gave me a lot of ideas of what to do with my ‘Character design project.’

Character Design


Fig. 3

Since my character is an elephant warrior, I automatically thought of making the warrior a male. Then I realised females could also be warriors as well and decided to make an elephant female warrior.

Doing research, it gave me the idea of making a dancer wear an elephant mask or being described as an elephant. The silhouette makes it look like someone is telling an old legendary tale/ myth, which gave an idea of what the background of the story this would look like.



Fig. 4

This is not the original character, however the foundation of the character. The silhouette is a little disjointed from the joints to give it an interesting shape. I also tried to make the warrior more masculine than the dancers to give character, to show that she is different from the rest. This was successful, hover next time I would make the joints even more separated so it would be easy to see.

  This gave me a clear idea of the story, which everyone seemed to like.

Story


The story starts off with an undefeatable prideful king who everyone hates. One day the king decided to have a day where anyone could challenge him and take the crown. However, no one was able to defeat the king, just when the challenge was about to be over, a group of dancers came to entertain the king who was sitting on his throne. The dancers waved a big colourful patterned cloth in the middle where one of the dancers transformed having an elephant head holding a spear and a shield. Everyone was shocked. She challenged the king, even though there were some few thresholds she won and was crowned.


Comments

Popular Posts